If you have been experiencing low internet or other connection issues with your Netgear router, you must try changing the MTU settings. Yes, the MTU settings of your router can affect your internet speed.
Well, let’s first understand what MTU is and how it works?
What is MTU?
MTU or Maximum Transmission Unit is the maximum is a measurement of the largest data packets transferred through an internet-connected device. MTU is measured in bytes, and every router has a default MTU assigned to it.
So, whenever a device sends larger data packets than the device MTU, those data packets are broken down into smaller units, to allow transfer through the lower MTU device. However, this can slow the internet speed as data arrives in smaller packets and takes time to load up. Some routers can have a lower MTU than normal, or sometimes, people may have accidentally changed the MTU, causing the speed to drop unexpectedly.
When Should You Change the MTU Settings?
Here are some scenarios when you should consider changing your Netgear Router MTU settings.
- If you are observing a sudden drop in the internet speed,
- If low-resolution pages are also taking longer to load,
- If your websites are loading in parts, and some parts fail to load,
- Slower internet with VPN, or
- Connection issues.
All these scenarios indicate issues with your MTU, and the MTU may be set to a lower limit. Therefore, if you are facing any of these issues, you must change your MTU settings via Netgear router login.
What MTU Measurement Is Ideal for Fast Internet?
This is the most important question. Incorrect MTU settings can cause connection issues. You may get extremely low speed, or in the worst case, you may not be able to access the internet at all. Therefore, it is extremely important to set the MTU settings appropriately. For smooth internet speed, the ideal MTU size would be 1400. However, you can try to gradually increase or decrease the MTU size until the problem you’re facing is solved.
Here’s how you can change your Netgear Router MTU settings from your device.
How to Change Netgear Router MTU Settings?
First of all, make sure that your Netgear Router is connected to a power supply and an internet connection. Now follow the steps given below and you’ll be able to change your Netgear MTU settings.
- Turn on your Router
- Connect a device to your Wi-Fi and open a web browser of your choice.
- On your address bar, type your default IP 192.168.1.1 and press “Enter”.
- Now the Netgear Login page will open on your screen.
- Type your username and password and login into your Netgear account
- On the home screen of your Netgear account, locate the WAN Setup section.
- Under the WAN setup, locate the “MTU Size” field, and enter a measurement between 64 and 1500.
- Once done, click “Apply“, and your latest MTU settings will be saved.
And That’s All!
Yes, that’s all. You can now check your internet speed. Your internet speed will be better if the problem was due to the MTU size.
Isn’t that easy? So go ahead now and correct and optimize your internet speed with Netgear MTU Settings.